Friday, December 31, 2010

Day 14: Timestamp of New Year's Eve (so far, anyway)

5:45AM: I wake up to my beeping alarm clock.  I turn off my fan (white noise), hear something in the living room, think Is someone in my apartment?, and open my bedroom door to see my roommate standing on the balcony off of the living room, smoking.  At 5:45 AM.  Nice. 
7:20am: I leave for work.  I wonder about "Mr. Anonymous."  Who is he?
7:25am: I stop at Biggby Coffee to help jump-start my day.
7:27am: I order a "grande soy Neopolitan latte, no whip" which brings an immediate smile to Dan, who originally concocted said latte for me (when I ordered a "surprise me" latte) a week ago.
7:28am: My debit card is declined.  I use a different form of payment.
7:40am: I arrive at work via the "scenic route."  Latte in one hand, Chutes & Ladders in the other (today was supposed to be "game day" at lunch).
7:45am: Bewildered by my declined debit card, I check my bank account online and find that I am experiencing a very unexpected (and rather sizable) financial fiasco.
7:50am: I inform Ariane of said fiasco.  She supports me in my outrage (that's why I love her).
8:00am: I attempt to do some work.  I think about "Mr. Anonymous" again.
8:15am: I inform Sarah of said fiasco.  She, too, supports me in my outrage (that's why I love her as well!)
8:20am: The three of us determine that a certain Cookie's fiance works in our building.
8:22am: Ariane and I witness a strange encounter between aforementioned Cookie and fiance.
8:59am: The only five people in my department who are working today (myself and four others) head down to SB3 for morning recess.  Very few Cookies are present.
9:30-ish am: We return to our office from recess.
9:40-ish am: Sarah, Ariane, and I go for a walk through the back hallways at work (I was freezing and needed some exercise to warm up).
9:55am: We run across some male coworkers who were invited to come out with us for drinks last night.  I tell them we missed them (though I was secretly happy they had bailed, leaving just us girls).
10:00am: I continue attempting to work.
10:30am: Still attempting.
11:00am: Still attempting...  and thinking about "Mr. Anonymous."
11:30am: I talk with my sister, and we play the "6 degrees" game regarding people that we work with. (6 degrees: How are you connected with John Doe?  John Doe knows Sally Camel, who works with John Jacob, who sold his house to Elmer Fudd, who played softball with your boyfriend)
11:45am: I find out that a new Cookie (AKA "Snickerdoodle") is married with a child.  (Then please refrain from smiling at me, Mr. Snickerdoodle.)
11:46am: I begin to develop an aversion to many of the Cookies that I work with.  (If you're taken, then please don't be a flirty flirt.  It would save me some time.)
11:49am: I ask Ariane if she thinks "Mr. Anonymous" is actually our boss. She says no.
11:50am: The boss's boss comes through our office and tells Ariane and I something about arriving/ leaving early.  I don't hear him, but I assume Ariane did.  Turns out Ariane didn't hear him, but she assumed I did.
12:00pm: Sarah, Ariane, and I go to lunch.  Ariane brings the board game Sorry!
12:05pm: I get upset.  I didn't bring a lunch because Friday is "Nacho Day" and my current financial fiasco doesn't allow me to purchase said nachos.  So I fix myself a water-cooler cup of Chia seeds ("rock-snot," as Ariane calls it) and devour it.  Saddest lunch ever.
12:15pm: We collaboratively determine that our boss said we could leave whenever.  We decide against playing Sorry!, and decide to quit lunch and leave for the day.
12:20pm: We head back to the office, I finish up some things, consider heading home.  Everyone else is excited to go home.  I'm not excited-- I've got nothing to go home to, like they all do.  My friends are all out of town (including my 2 human roommates), and I've got no boyfriend waiting for me (as if it weren't obvious... have you even read any of my Cookie blogs?  I'm obviously single). 
12:50pm: I head to the bank to deposit my paycheck.  The teller says, "Oh!  I like your earrinngggss... earring.  Earring?  Earring."  She's confused by my one dangly earring.
1:15pm: I make the mistake of going to Kohl's to try to return something.
1:17pm: I see the "Return" line at Guest Services inside the store.
1:17pm: I leave.
1:25pm: I arrive at home.  My roommate's car is in the parking lot.  I wonder what she's been doing all day.
1:26pm: I open the door to my apartment.  It smells like cigarette smoke; mystery solved.
1:28pm: I consider doing laundry.  I decide against laundry.
1:29pm: I put on my comfy clothes and look for food that's not seeds.
1:45pm: I climb into bed and pop in New Moon because it makes me believe that there's someone out there for me... someone like Jacob Black or Edward Cullen (haha).  Someone who's not married or engaged.  Someone with no kids.  Someone who's not a complete tool.  Does he even exist? 
1:50pm: I open my trusty laptop and begin typing so that I may finish today's blog and settle in for a long winter's nap-- until 8:00, when I must awaken and head to Shakespeare's at 8:45, so that I may serve alcohol and fried food to inebriated patrons until the wee hours.


...Is it really New Year's Eve?  Doesn't feel like it.  I'm hoping to feel a little more positive by 2011.  Serving drinks till 2am.  Could be worse, right?  I'll feel better once I'm at work.  My coworkers are fun, and they'll be the perfect group to be with at midnight.  Even if we're all playing "servant." 

And surely you’ll buy your pint cup !
and surely I’ll buy mine !
And we'll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

No comments:

Post a Comment