Sunday, January 2, 2011

Day 15: The Token "Things Remembered" Blog

Well, it's 1/1/11 (actually, it's 1/2/11 now, but I'm still awake from 1/1/11).  Last night was New Year's Eve, and I was able to ring in the new year with all the giddy drunks at Shakespeare's Pub.  I've never worked at a bar on New Year's Eve, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  But it was tremendous fun!  People kept telling me throughout the night, "It's too bad you have to work tonight" or "I'm sorry you're working on New Year's Eve."  But my response each time was, "Well, if you have to work anywhere at midnight on New Year's Eve, I can think of a million places worse than Shakespeare's Pub where you could otherwise be working."  Each and every customer I had was giddy, generous, and downright delightful to spend the evening with.  After we closed the bar, all the employees (21 and up) were given a free drink from the bar-- and we could pick our poison.  Mine was the Vanilla Java Porter... possibly my new favorite brew.  Or at least a close second to my ever-faithful drink of choice, Guinness.

Well, it's the New Year.  And New Year's Day just doesn't seem complete without a bit of reminiscing about the year gone by.  2010 was a good (and rather eventful) year.  I composed a list of things I learned.  As always, my dear blog audience is privileged to take a peek at the final product.

What I Learned in 2010
  1. Watching my dog fall asleep for good was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. 
  2. Having two brothers is quite satisfactory.
  3. A red vest does not suit me.
  4. Nor does a dirndl.
  5. Living with my mom wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected (LYMTWCS, Mamita!)
  6. The Twilight saga is more interesting than I had imagined.
  7. I'm currently addicted to the Twilight saga.
  8. The Peace Corps is a great opportunity that I hope to experience in the future.
  9. Buying a new car is easy.  Too easy.
  10. Car salesmen are smooth (yes, you, Brad).
  11. Running a half-marathon is quite an accomplishment.  Running two feels even better.
  12. A dog's unconditional love is one of the greatest things ever.
  13. I'm glad I never pursued a degree in education.
  14. Oreos and The Office always make me feel better.
  15. A pleasant work environment makes for a phenomenal job.
  16. A phenomenal job makes for a pleasant life.
  17. Chocolate labs are the best cuddlers.
  18. German is very similar to English.
  19. Wearing important rings while swimming in a lake = bad idea.
  20. It's nearly impossible to buy a Harry Potter DVD.
  21. It's never a good idea to go running with Trevor Williams (tetanus, anyone?).
  22. Generally speaking, males shouldn't always be so easily trusted.
  23. Scented candles are a godsend-- when you've got a roommate like mine.
  24. Sunday Funday is the best way to start the week.
  25. Naps are essential.
  26. Adam Barnes can make one's relocation to Kalamazoo quite pleasant.
  27. Silver Lake rocks.
  28. Cupcakes are simply wonderful.
  29. The easiest way to a man's heart is indeed through his stomach.
  30. Biggby Coffee trumps Starbucks.  Any day.
  31. Soy "ice cream" is not worth it.
  32. Benzoyl peroxide is a double-edged sword.
  33. Meth is a nasty habit (no, not me).
  34. JCPenney is a poor workplace.
  35. Shakespeare's Pub is a fantastic workplace.
  36. So is the IPS department of Pfizer.
  37. Cookies are not always what they seem.
  38. Portage is a wonderful place to live.
  39. Barefoot running is incredibly liberating.
  40. Vibram FiveFingers are amazing.
  41. The Crow's Nest offers the best vegan breakfast in Kalamazoo.
  42. Ann Arbor continues to rock my socks.
  43. Everything really does happen for a reason.
  44. Wearing heels every day causes one's feet to cramp up every evening around 8pm.
  45. My room looks bluish-purple, although the walls are in fact GRAY.
  46. It's easier to find a parking spot at work at 7:30am than 9:00am.
  47. Corporate America isn't always fair--or ethical.
  48. Anonymity is intriguing.
  49. Mudslides in Central America can most certainly ruin one's plans for the day.
  50. The Droid Incredible is definitely incredible.
  51. The bed in the guest room at my sister's house is the most comfortable thing I've ever experienced.
  52. The Starship Honda is not made to transport 1 female and 4 males.
  53. Ifyou can karaoke to "Shoop," you can conquer the world.
  54. The Ostrich Maneuever doesn't work for everything.
  55. 3 shots of espresso in the morning give you energy, yes, but then there's the quickly ensuing crash around 10am.  Refer to #25.
  56. Acting professional at work is a must.  Acting like a grown-up 100% of the time is optional.
  57. Kalamazoo snowfall is different from Frankenmuth snowfall.
  58. A lonely drive from Kalamazoo to Hubbard Lake, with the intention of staying only one day, may not always be worth it.
  59. If one is trying to learn Italian, and one does so by listening to "learn Italian" podcasts in one's car, and one is really only speaking Spanish with an Italian accent while alone in one's car, no one else will ever know.
  60. Baking cakes and cutting out snowflakes are the best therapies for broken-heart syndrome-- and rather productive as well.
  61. A 5-drawer dresser CAN fit in the trunk of a Starship Honda.  Well, it can if you've got some Scotch tape.
  62. Drinking 5 giant bottles of water a day really does make me feel better.
  63. A night out with good friends (old or new) makes your entire week better.
  64. Sleep is unnecessary if you're making money.
  65. Tofurky is tasty.  Other brands of fake turkey are just not worth it.
  66. My bond with Guatemala continues to grow with every visit :)
  67. Hot yoga is a good workout, yes, but not completely pleasant.
  68. Blue Man Group is astounding.
  69. Friends are important.
  70. Family is very important.
  71. If you've got family, friends, a good job, and you live near a place that offers decent falafel, your life is complete.
And While I'm at It... Things I've Learned in 2011
  1. The Rose Bowl is a football game.
  2. The Winter Classic is hockey, not figure skating.

1 comment: