Monday, January 10, 2011

My Point Exactly

This past weekend, I attended a family Christmas party hosted by my mom.  And yes, I know it was the second weekend in January.  Uncles/aunts/cousins from all over Michigan (and even out of state) showed up.  I love seeing my extended family, especially the out-of-towners, whom I don't see very often.  We were all so engaged with one another, and it was like no time had passed since we were last together.  It's always great to meet with family and friends, and events like holiday parties/weddings are a great way to catch up on what's happening in everyone's lives.

I had anticipated the inevitable questions from my extended family (What have you been up to?  How do you like Kalamazoo?  How do you like your job?  Where are you living?  What are your roommates like?).  Sometimes it seems boring, having to answer the exact same questions twenty times in a row.  Little did I know that I had sufficiently covered all my bases without even realizing it.  Blogging is indeed a great outlet to let family/ friends stay up to date with everything that's going on in my life.  Well, not everything (it is, after all, a public blog).  But nearly everything.  It was very entertaining to hear my family throw MY stories back and forth like they were discussing a sitcom.  Entertaining and a bit of an ego boost, actually. 

Someone asked me why I initially started writing a blog.  I thought I'd mentioned it in my very first post, but I guess not.  The credit goes to my eldest sister Elizabeth.  About a year ago, I was recently graduated, practically unemployed (occasional substitute teaching), living with my mother, bored to tears in Michigan's Little Bavaria, and in dire need of a project.  Liz, knowing my passion for writing, told me to start a blog.  It would give me something to focus on and perhaps prove to be entertaining/informative for my friends and family.  Lo and behold, I think it's done its job.  My dear blog has in fact proved to be a remarkable outlet for me-- through which I'm able to voice my triumphs, my losses, my frustrations, praises, likes, dislikes, etc. 

Friends, family, strangers, anonymous coworkers: thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts.  It's hard to believe that my life can seem interesting enough to make for enjoyable reading.  As I learned this weekend, though, I've left some stories rather open-ended.  For example, what makes my one roommate so odd?  (There isn't enough free space on the WWW to fully describe her oddities... but I'll try in another post.)  Why do I like movies like Indiana Jones and Star Trek so much?  (I can't believe I've never confessed this:  I've NEVER seen an Indiana Jones movie, or Star Trek, or Star Wars, or Superman, or Batman, or Transformers, or the show Band of Brothers.  My infatuation is solely with the theme songs.) 

I guess I'll keep on keeping on with the blogging.  My life is apparently quite entertaining, so I'll keep sharing my stories-- crazy roommate and all.  Happy reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment