Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 18: Don't smile. Don't smile. Don't smile.

It should come as no shock to you that I was listening to one of my "film score" stations on Pandora today while at work.  Amidst listening to themes from the movies Pride and Prejudice, Little Women, and Raiders of the Lost Ark, I had the pleasure of hearing a new song: the film score from Chaplin.  The score is an instrumental composition that sounded an awful lot like Nat King Cole's song "Smile." 

Naturally, my curiosity got the best of me.  With Google just a mouse-click away, and an impressive amount of procrastination surpassing any work-related motivation, I decided to take a break from my work and research the song.  Turns out "Smile" is based on an instrumental theme that was actually composed by Charlie Chaplin to be used in his 1936 film Modern Times, but the lyrics weren't added until1954, when the song was first performed by Nat King Cole. 

Funny that I stumbled across this song, since smiling was one of the [many] topics of conversation at our lunch table today.  We were discussing the advantages and disadvantages of smiling at every person you pass in the hallway (and guess what-- that's exactly what I do at work).  And yes, there are indeed disadvantages to smiling at just anyone.  I often assume that people that pass me in the hallway and think, "There goes that psycho blonde girl who smiles at me.  Creep."  Maybe I need to smile less often...

Why do I smile?  I smile because I've been told I look angry if I'm not smiling (this is very true; just ask me for my "pensive" look someday).  I smile because I'm trying to cover up the fact that I'm having the worst day imaginable.  I smile because I'm thinking of a funny joke someone told me the day before.  I smile because I'm in pain and I don't want anyone to know. I smile because someone left me a happy note on my desk.  I smile because I'm thinking of the GEICO commercial with the little pig squealing all the way home.  I smile because it makes me look more "approachable."  I smile because people smile at me.  I smile after someone tells me NOT to smile.  I smile because someone says something that makes me think, "That's what she said."  I smile because I'm thinking of my wonderful plans for the evening.  I don't know why I do it.  I just smile.  It makes it easier to get by when there are clouds in the sky :)

Look through the lyrics and try not to smile today. 

Smile
Though your heart is aching
Smile
Even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky
You'll get by
If you
Smile through your fear and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through for you.
Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear maybe ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile
What's the use of crying
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you'll just smile. -- "Smile" by Nat King Cole (music by Charlie Chaplin, lyrics by John Turner & Geoffrey Parsons)

No comments:

Post a Comment