Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 19: Don't Cry for Me, Argentina (or DomRep, or Guatemala, or Ireland)

I love to travel.  For me, the one and only disappointing part about traveling is that it's nearly impossible to accurately describe the experience to someone who wasn't there.  For example, I was incredibly frustrated when trying to share a few months' worth of Argentina experiences with my friends and family at home (of course, my travel blog helped a bit).  Same goes with the other places I've explored (Ireland, Guatemala, Dominican Republic, and so many more).  Here are some of my FAVORITE spots in the entire world.

Below is a photo of me in El Calafate, Argentina, near the Perito Moreno glacier.  Can you believe this is South America?  Many people forget about the south of South America.  Argentina is a long country.  Its northernmost point is approximately the same distance from the equator as Cuba (so it's warm).  And it stretches all the way to the very southern tip of South America, where you'll find the southernmost city in the world: Ushuaia in Cape Horn (Tierra del Fuego). Ushuaia is cold, even in Argentina's spring/summer (our fall/winter here in Michigan).  The Perito Moreno glacier (below) is one of the most peaceful places I've ever been.  The magnitude of that sheet of ice is astounding-- anyone would feel dwarfed standing near it.  Silence fills the air, and the only sound is the wind rolling through the mountains that surround the glacier.  Every so often, an automobile-sized ice chunk falls off the glacier, and the sound that follows is unexplainable-- it shatters the silence. 




The next photo is an attempt to photograph the entire glacier (however, its 20-mile length and 240-ft height [above the water... it extends 558 feet below the surface of the water] make it difficult to capture the whole thing).  I did my best:


The next photo is on the same trip, but a bit further south, in Ushuaia (southernmost city in the world).  They call it "Fin del Mundo," which means "The End of the World."


Look closely and you can see Antarctica (haha, not really... but I was very close!).  This is an island in the Beagle Channel, and lounging around on said island are sea elephants (similar to seals/sea lions), cormorants, and penguins-- three things I would never have expected to see in the wild. 
The next photo is from the same boat excursion-- through the Beagle Channel-- the evening sky was unreal, which made for some of the most phenomenal photos I've ever captured.


Now let's head to the northern part of Argentina (closer to the equator); specifically, Iguazu Falls.  Fewer layers of clothing are needed, and visitors are certainly more comfortable without a scarf and mittens.  Iguazu Falls, third largest in the world, stretch for 1.7 miles along the Iguazu River, and some are a whopping 270 feet high (Niagara Falls, impressive though it may be, has absolutely nothing on Iguazu Falls).  There is very little concrete in Iguazu National Park (which encompasses an area the size of Panama), which adds to the feeling of being in paradise.  And that's exactly how I felt when I saw the falls.  I can only think of one word to describe Iguazu Falls, and it's PARADISE.  Majestic waterfalls, palm trees, sunshine and rainbows as far as the eye can see?  Yes, please.  Keep in mind that each of these falls are 200-300 feet high.


It's impossible to get a bad picture of the falls. 


Okay, we're still in Argentina-- in Rosario, the city I lived in.  This photo was taken from the balcony off my apartment, and I promise that it wasn't edited at all.  This is just an example of the sunsets that happen in Rosario.  Rosario is a very artsy city, with beautiful architecture (looks like old New York, with an Italian flair).  Very few people know this, but there's a HUGE  Italian influence in Argentina (every meal consisted of pizza or pasta with some wine... not bad!). 

Here's La Boca (a very colorful, musical, ecclectic neighborhood in Buenos Aires, Argentina).  There are street musicians, mimes, tango dancers, and artists on every corner.  The streets are lined with brightly colored shops and houses.  It's magical.

A bit further north, to the Dominican Republic: give me 16th century buildings (did you know this is where Christopher Columbus landed?), cobblestone streets, ancient lamp-posts, and beautiful people, and I'm happy.







Travel west and just a smidge to the south, and you'll run into Guatemala, where I've left bits and pieces of my heart over the years.  Green-green-green mountains (including active volcanoes), the best coffee you'll ever taste (and coffee plantations too!), Spanish colonial architecture, tropical plants (and fresh fruit like you wouldn't believe), and beautiful people make this country magnificent.  Traveling cross-country is best done via bus, which takes a while since you're winding your way up and down narrow mountain roads, but with the right amount of Dramamine it can yield some spectacular views.





Last but definitely not least, the Emerald Isle.  If you want to experience pure magic, GO TO IRELAND.  Breathtaking landscapes, ancient tombs, the most friendly people on the planet, fantastic castles, the Cliffs of Moher (a 300-meter drop straight down), the best Guinness ever, green, green, and more green.  Who could ask for anything more?  I can't wait to go back.




4 comments:

  1. Wow!! What else can I say? You have been blessed with many gifts including writing and photography. I enjoy your photos on your FB page also, Melanie. It was a pleasure to have served along side you in Guatemala. I hope to have the chance to do it again. God's blessings to you!! Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emerald is for May, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. BA has everything you can ask for: food, wine, attractions, museums and every kind of restaurant. People of all ages can enjoy their city there because it is like a paradise. I remember when I travelled, I met a lot of people, I had rented one of those buenos aires apartments in Palermo and I made a lot of friends. Argentineans are cool and pretty fun! It was terrific! Now I’m planning a trip with my boyfriend!
    Trace

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing I love Ushuaia since I read the book but someday as you, I'll be there... nice photos... and nice feelings my sisters send you a lot of greetings... good night and good luck...

    ReplyDelete