Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 16: The Simple Life

"It is preoccupation with possession, more than anything else, that prevents men from living freely and nobly." -- Bertrand Russell

About every other day, I stand in my closet and say, "I've got nothing to wear."  Inevitably, the next time laundry day rolls around, I think, "I've got too many clothes" as I'm folding my third load.  It's a gamble... I never know how I'm going to feel about my possessions, but it's either all or none.  I've either got "nothing" or I've got "too much." 

I'm currently reading the book The 100 Thing Challenge by Dave Bruno.  In this book, the author whittles his possessions down to just 100 things in an effort to rid his life of consumerism.  You're probably thinking the first thing I thought when I picked up the book.  100 things?  How could anyone only own 100 things and still be able to live a normal life?  What about food?  Health & beauty products?  Furniture?  I'm only in the first few chapters of the book, so I don't have an answer for all those questions yet.  And if the Challenge doesn't seem difficult enough as is, throw in a twist: the author has a wife, two kids, and some pets.  It would seem exponentially more difficult to get rid of most of your possessions if you've got a family to care for.

In true Melanie style, I turned to the last page of the book to read the last sentence before beginning the first page (I always do this... I find that it never ruins the book; in fact, it makes it a bit more interesting).  The last few pages (Appendix 2) contain the list of things that Mr. Bruno whittled his possessions down to.  Though I generally don't condone reading the last entire chapter of a book before beginning the book, I felt that it was okay just this one time (famous last words, right?).  Some of my initial pressing questions were answered.  from the Appendix, it looks as though food products don't count toward the 100 things (that's a relief... I proabably have 100 spices alone!  again, probably too much).  And it looks as though furniture isn't added in either.
I obviously have more questions that will be answered in the rest of the book, but I'm extremely interested to read about how one man made a resolution to live more simply. 

It seems like a good New Year's resolution for me... I feel like I'm always preaching about how people I know have too many things, or spend too much time and money shopping.  Then I turn around and live just like those "other" people... spending my evenings shopping when I should be at home, not spending money.  I'm constantly striving to live as simply as possible, making my shoes out of tire rubber (haha) or making my own Christmas ornaments out of burned-out light bulbs.  I take some pride in the fact that I don't need to wear name-brand clothes or shoes, or have a Coach purse (nope, not even a faux Coach purse).  It took me quite a while before I was taken aboard the hella-expensive Pandora bracelet bandwagon (I received one as a gift, and I still don't wear it very often).  My laptop is 5 years old, missing part of the charger, and processes information at a glacial pace.  Most--if not all--of my jeans have something wrong with them (worn on the heels, holes, missing something).  I don't wear expensive jewelry-- as a matter of fact, I don't ever want to own a diamond, not even in my engagement ring (for ethical and personal reasons). 

Some would look at my life and say I live simply... however, I look around and think of all the stuff I could get rid of.  We humans are so difficult to please, aren't we?  Think of how much work it would take to whittle your possessions down to 100 things.  Could you live the simple life?

No comments:

Post a Comment