Monday, December 20, 2010

Day 3: What's at the End of Your Tunnel?

I was watching Miracle on 34th Street the other day (seasonally appropriate, right?) with my sister.  If you've never seen the movie, you should-- especially now, while we're in the Christmas season.  There are two versions -- one from 1947, and one from 1994.  Either version is phenomenal, but the 1994 version will give you the pleasure of watching young Mara Wilson in action-- and let's face it... who doesn't love two hours of HER?

The movie is about the eternal debate on the existence of Santa Claus, as well as what he represents in our lives.  But as I was watching the movie, I was (quite easily) drawing parallels to my own faith.  Perhaps it's because I've been thinking lately about my personal meanings for hope & faith...  I've been especially struggling with trying to understand how someone can believe in the existence of "nothing"-- call it what you want (atheism, nihilism, idealism, delusional nonsense, pure genius, whatever). 

Someone asked me a few weeks ago why I believe what I believe (and for the record, I'm a Christian).  I hate to say it, but I wasn't prepared for a question like that, and therefore I wasn't sure how to answer.  I don't feel forced into my faith or coerced into it.  I don't feel like there was any ultimatum from my parents, siblings, or teachers that made me accept this faith.  What would you say if someone asked you "why?"

I simply said: I believe what I believe because it gives me hope. 

Look around you-- this world sucks.  Seems like every time I turn around, the world is spinning more quickly into chaos.  Someone you know is dying from some sort of incurable disease.  We're medicating ourselves beyond normalcy.  Humans are killing other humans to prove some point.  Shows like Jersey Shore are working their way to the top of the charts (and after watching an episode for the very first time the other day, I feel like humanity is done for... if Snooki is all we've got going for us, we might as well just throw in the towel right now).  I feel like there has to be something better than Jersey Shore at the end of the tunnel.

Hope and faith give me reasons to keep on going, all the way to the end of my tunnel.  It seems like there are fewer and fewer reasons to enjoy life in this chaotic, dirty, overpriced, overmedicated, doubtful, synthetic, paved, loud, angry and violent world. 

I'm not going to force anyone to share my beliefs-- if this point hasn't come across strongly enough yet, let it come across now: force should never be an option.  My intention, though, is to serve as an example to others.  And no, I don't think I have all the answers; in fact, I unfortunately have very few answers.  All I know is that I have hope and faith in something greater.  I accept the fact that there's a better life for me waiting at the end of my tunnel.  And I accept that on faith.  No, I don't know exactly how long my tunnel is, what lies ahead of me in the tunnel, or how I'm going to make it all the way to the end.  But I absolutely believe there's a light waiting for me once I make it through.  I hope that you've all got some light at the end of your tunnel as well.  There's no good argument against hope, and no one can (or should) fault you for living with hope.  If we've nothing but a dark, endless tunnel ahead of us, what are we living for?

"I'm a symbol. I'm a symbol of the human ability to be able to suppress the selfish and hateful tendencies that rule the major part of our lives. If... you can't believe, if you can't accept anything on faith, then you're doomed for a life dominated by doubt." -- Kris Kringle, Miracle on 34th Street

"We have nothing, if not belief." -- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

2 comments:

  1. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. - 1 Peter 3:15

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you are confused about Atheists. Most Atheists have looked at the proof and arguments for God and Religion very carefully. They likely know everything you do about Christianity and maybe more. They have reached the conclusion that God PROBABLY does not exist because of overwhelming evidence from Science and Religious history. Think about what it means to know all about Christianity and what it means to not believe and then choose to give it up or pay it no heed. If I'm wrong in my unbelief it would mean going to hell. Outlined in Pascal's Wager. Isn't there infinitely more reason to believe... and yet I do not. Why?

    Just because a view of the world gives you pleasure or hope does not mean there is any truth in it. Most Atheist's are very happy, moral, and content people, who lead meaningful lives. They donate to charity and help their communities. Or they can be detrimental to Society... just like Christians or people of other faiths. But there are no statists to suggest that faith makes a difference in quality of life. It is interesting that Atheists make up 0.4% of U.S. prison population. While they make up 15-20% of the U.S. population. Christians make up about 40% of population and account for 39% of prison population.

    Do you have any other reasons why you believe in God other than hope? I hope that this subject will be in your future blog posts. I urge you to ask yourself what faith is, and why it is important to you. Thank you for your post and have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete