Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Day 12: Mon Petit Schmetterling

This summer, a Guatemalan mime told me that he considered "butterfly" to be the most beautiful word in any language.  I agree. 
English: butterfly
French: papillon
Spanish: mariposa
Filipino: paruparo
Portuguese: borboleta
Italian: farfalla
Romanian: fluture (pronounced like "future," but with an L)
Greek: petaluodia
Russian: babochka (sound familiar?)
Sign language: "interlock thumbs, and flap hands like wings" (haha)
Danish: sommerfugl

Since I've been studying German lately, I've been caught saying "Schmetterling" on random occasions.  In turn, my dear coworker, Ariane, has begun saying "Schmetterling" as well.  It's safe to say that there are plenty of "Schmetterling"s flying around our office (pun intended). 

Below is a snippet from one of the many conversations she and I had today.  Please disregard any and all speeling arrers/ grammatical errors.  Also, bear in mind that these are "fun" conversations, typed quickly, with a high level of frivolity.
Me [1:21 PM]:  discuss THIS. pow.

Ariane [1:21 PM]:  pow right in the kisser

Me [1:21 PM]:  (i punched you with my words)

Me [1:21 PM]:  haha

Ariane [1:21 PM]:  more like you stung me in my heart

Me [1:22 PM]:  and ever since i was a Fox 17 news celebrity this morning all i've been doing is laughing

Ariane [1:22 PM]:  can i have your autograph?

Me [1:24 PM]:  papillon is french for butterfly

Ariane [1:24 PM]:  i know

Ariane [1:24 PM]:  the dog has ears like a butterfly and that's why they called it that

Me [1:24 PM]:  un joli papillon (my beautiful butterfly)

Me [1:24 PM]:  ohhhh! nice

Me [1:25 PM]:  i was very lost for a second

Me [1:25 PM]:  i prefer mon petit schmetterling

Me [1:25 PM]:  i was ilke whose dog? what? who named their dog schmetterling?


Please note-- between 1:22 and 1:24 PM, you see a short pause.  During this "intermission," I took the liberty of signing my autograph for Ariane.  Attention: Deutsch-speakers, please move past the massacre of German grammar (should be "der Schmetterling") and just enjoy the work of art as is.  I think the incorrect definite article adds a wee bit of character, no?


Some background: On my way to work this morning, I stopped at Biggby Coffee on Stadium Dr., where the Fox 17 News van was parked.  Inside, they were conducting an interview, and of course I tried my best to get on camera (it was only appropriate).  That's where we get the term "Fox 17 News celebrity" that I reference in the conversation above.

All in all, any day in which I make a name for myself (Das Schmetterling) is a good day.  Gute Nacht, meine Freunde.  Bis morgen!


No comments:

Post a Comment