Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Day 5: When Irish Eyes Are Smiling

It's a known fact in my family that I hold a special place in my heart for Ireland and all things Irish (and yes, we're German... not Irish).  I've mentioned it before-- my mom gave me a desk calendar for my birthday, and on each page is the date, a photo of Ireland, and some words of inspiration (often an Irish blessing of some sort).  Yesterday's page:

December 21
May the blessing of light be on you--
Light without and light within.
May the blessed sunlight shine on you,
And warm your heart
Till it grows like a great peat fire.

If you've ever been to Ireland, perhaps you've had the olfactory pleasure of smelling burning peat.  It's a very distinct smell, and once you've smelled it for the first time, you will instantly recognize it the next time it's wafting through the air.  It's not a great smell, but it's not a bad smell either.  To me, it's just cozy.  The smell of peat takes me back to the Atlantic coast of Ireland (I stopped by Ireland for a visit in August 2009), where I was taking up lodging at a hostel called "Peter's Place--" affordable and cozy (because Peter, who was a prominent fixture in the hostel--constantly bustling about, fixing things and cleaning things-- burned peat to heat the hostel). 

Ireland is HANDS DOWN my favorite place in the world.  Never before have I traveled to another country and felt so at home.  Every Irish person I encountered lived right up to the typical Irish stereotype-- warm, friendly, good-humored, welcoming, and downright NICE.  Who wouldn't love to spend time in a country full of people like that?  When Irish eyes are smiling, you'll be smiling too :)

O my dear Emerald Isle, I love you and miss you terribly.  Please allow me to visit again.  Soon.  I could use some Irish hospitality, some top-notch Guinness, and a few more photo ops.


2 comments: