Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Make or Break (a habit, that is)


My Facebook news feed has been blowing up lately with updates from friends who are participating in the 30-day photo challenge-- not that I'm knocking their persistence.  I think it's a pretty cool idea.  It seems like every time I turn around, I see another 30-day ____ challenge (fill in the blank with whatever-- yoga, gym, blogging, etc.) 

Why 30 days?  Try Googling "30 day challenge" and you're likely to stumble across some "30 day challenge" sites.  You'll also see articles like "30 days to form a habit."  There's a few different schools of thought on how long it takes to make something a habit-- ranging from 21 days to 30 to 66, even 90 days.  According to psychologist Dr. Maxwell Maltz, it takes about 15 minutes per day, for 21 days, to form a habit. 

I'm not sure if it's because I want to be different or because I'm kind of a slacker-- perhaps both reasons-- but I'm going to try a 21-day blog challenge.  I love writing, and it doesn't take me too long to crank out a blog.  21 days of writing?  Bring it on. 

1 comment:

  1. I am quite interested to read your 21 days of writing. In fact, every blog you write is interesting, insightful, reflective, and heart warming to me. They bring a smile to my face when I'm already happy and when I'm feeling blue. So bring it on 21 days of reading Melanie's blog =)

    ReplyDelete