Monday, December 27, 2010

Day 10: Musical Chairs

Day 10 already!  This 21-day challenge is just about halfway done.  And it hasn't really been that difficult, save this past weekend (I was out of town and didn't have the best internet access where I was staying... but I persevered).  My point: the daily post isn't so bad. 

musical chairs Pictures, Images and PhotosQuick recap of today:  they're currently painting the walls of the Snack Bar located directly across the hall from my office (SB2).  If you recall, my coworkers and I choose to eat at SB3 (down the hall from my office).  There are generally many people who eat at SB3; fewer people eat at SB2-- but still a good number of people.  Since they're painting SB2, those who normally dine at SB2 are eating in SB3. 



Despite the fact that we're all adults and don't have "assigned seats," we're creatures of habit and choose to sit in the same seats, at the same tables, as often as possible.  Every so often, someone will be sitting at "your table" in SB3, and you'll have to sit somewhere else.  Maybe that screws up your day, maybe not.

TODAY... because of the painting in SB2 and the sudden influx of diners in SB3 (my home turf), there were nearly no tables available.  So at morning recess, we had to sit at the corner table-- which normally belongs to the group of carpenters.  So they had to sit somewhere else.  Same thing at lunch-- no tables available!  For both morning recess and lunch, it seemed like every group's seating arrangements were discombobulated.  All day long, we were all discussing how "off" we felt as a result of our screwed-up seating.  Funny how something like that can flip your world around.

Remember grade school, when your teachers gave you assigned seats and it was the worst thing imaginable?  Look at a professional place like my workplace-- we need to sit in the same seats every day.  Walk into any college classroom and I guarantee you that most of the students sit in the same seats every day.  How have we progressed so far?  Not only do we accept "assigned" seats, but we crave them! 

Hopefully tomorrow will go more smoothly-- and if not, at least I'll be mentally prepared :)

No comments:

Post a Comment