Saturday, December 25, 2010

Day 7: Better Early Than Never

I hate breaking the rules. Scratch that-- I hate breaking tradition. Therefore, I really don't approve of celebrating a holiday early.

This year, like the last few years, my family celebrated Christmas early in order to accommodate my sisters' plans (and please understand that I'm not complaining about this). And somehow, this year it seemed that I minded a little less.

For the first year in quite some time, I felt complete harmony while celebrating Christmas. Last year, one integral member of my immediate family failed to show up-- while we were all waiting-- and I have yet to hear a reason for the absence. This year, on the other hand, we all were there. And we were all laughing. And smiling. And sharing. And helping one another. (Am I making you sick with all this ridiculous sweetness yet?)

Ridiculous though it seems, it warmed my heart. Maybe the day wasn't completely flawless (the same member who forgot to show up last year was 2.5 hours late this year). And after all, I don't know what was going on beneath the surface of all the happiness that was being exuded today. Maybe there was more conflict than I actually saw. But that's my point.

From where I was sitting, I saw a happy family. And this year, I feel like that's all I needed. I needed to spend Christmas with a happy family. A joking, sharing, laughing, happy family. My absolute joy this Christmas season didn't come from the tasty vegan food I stuffed myself with today, nor from the wonderful gifts I received from my family today. It came from every smile, every hug, every joke, every bout of laughter that I shared with my family today. There's nothing I could ask for that would have made me any happier than I was while I was just watching my family in action today. No, we're definitely not perfect. We've got our quirks (for example, Melanie had to be told numerous times to "get your Hulk hands off the rocking chair so Dad can sit down"). And no, we don't always get along. But today was the perfect example of how any family can move past whatever could be pulling them apart, and just enjoy a holiday together. It's true-- there's no place like home. And as long as I'm around to spend time with my family on this beautiful earth, I'm going to do my best to enjoy it. Merry Christmas (eve) to you and your family. I hope this holiday season brings you as much joy as it's brought me.

1 comment:

  1. It was, I think, the best Christmas since we have lived in separate places. It wasn't just the "large presents" this year...it was in fact the smiles and laughter coming from each and every one of us. Love you all FAMILY!!

    ReplyDelete