Monday, November 15, 2010

A Touching Story

Some people call it OCD.  I call it "staying sanitary."  I'm a firm believer in anti-bacterial hand gel (Purell, hand sanitizer, whatever you call it-- it's all the same).  I use it religiously (and yes, I will refrain from eating until I sanitize first-- even if I just washed my hands).  Perhaps that borders on obsessive... then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  And when I behold my sanitized hands, it's a beautiful thing.  It's a running joke with my coworkers and friends-- I've got more bottles of hand sanitizer than I know what to do with.  I find bottles of hand sanitizer everywhere: in my car, in my jackets, in my purses, in my shoes (yes, I'm serious)... And that's not even counting the stashes I've got in my desk drawer at work, in my lunchbag, and lined up along my bathroom sink. 

And thanks to Bath & Body Works, they have a fantastically yummy-smelling line of PocketBacs, which are pocket-sized hand sanitizers in all sorts of amazing scents.  Each scent is a different color (and some are sparkly!) to allow coordination with my outfits, if I so choose :)  At only $1.50 a pop, these things are CHEAP, and they make great little gifts for anyone (and B&BW often has sales going-- 5 for $5... can't beat that!).  Besides the cutesy little bottles of sanitizer, you can also get PocketBac holders (or "holsters," as I so affectionately refer to them) for only $0.50 each.  See?  Clean hands on-the-go are pretty inexpensive. 

A few of my favorite B&BW hand sanitizer flavors are Twilight Woods, Midnight Pomegranate, Fresh Lemon, Warm Vanilla Sugar, and-- my all-time favorite-- the CUP CAKES collection.  These babies are the best-smelling things you'll ever clean your hands with.  With flavors like Coconut Cream, Blue Chiffon, Lemon Glaze, Red Velvet, and Strawberry, you'll never want to go without sanitizing.  (Word to the wise-- Strawberry is less-than-satisfactory... it may suit your taste, but definitely not mine.)  I'm currently using the Red Velvet Cup Cakes PocketBac, and yes, it smells like I just finished baking a red velvet cake. 

I propose that you run out to the nearest Bath & Body Works and get sanitized.  Now.  With cold/ flu season approaching, it's imperative that you take the appropriate steps to protect yourself from as many viruses as possible.  Here's a few tips for staying germ-free:
  • Make sure your hand sanitizer has at least 60% alcohol (my Red Velvet has 68%).  This percentage will kill the flu viruses on your hands.  However, some viruses are airborne-- so load up on Vitamin C too, while you're at it!
  • It's a myth that germs/ viruses will develop a resistance to hand sanitizer, leaving you more susceptible to them.  The main ingredient in hand sanitizer is alcohol, and it's proven that bacteria will NOT develop a resistance to alcohol.  Good news!
  • Even if you wash your hands with soap and water, you could actually only be getting rid of the visible dirt and grime-- most people, when washing their hands, won't do it correctly.  Here's a link to the CDC's approved hand-washing technique (go on, sing "Happy Birthday" in the bathroom at work/ school... you know you want to).  So follow the CDC's advice, wash your hands properly, and use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.  And quit spreading germs :)

Healthy hands are happy hands.  So stay healthy and happy this flu season, and your days will be merry and bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment