Monday, November 29, 2010

Just another one of those weird stories...

A couple years ago, on a visit to my mom, she was telling me about a book she had just finished reading-- it was apparently a fabulous book, and she wanted all of her daughters to read it. She had recently picked it up from a local garage sale, so she had the copy there to give to me. When she told me about the book (The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd) I mentioned to her that I had actually begun reading that same book a few years before, while I was housesitting for a coworker. I remembered enjoying what little I had read, but I had never had gotten around to finishing it.

She handed me her copy, and when I took the book from her, I felt as if I had actually held THAT copy before. I asked if it was my coworker who had sold her the book, but no-- it was someone else's garage sale. Upon further inspection of this particular copy, I saw that it had, at one point, in fact belonged to my coworker. Years before, I had actually held this very same copy of the book-- a copy that would eventually be passed through numerous hands before my mother bought it to give to me.

If you've never read the book, please do.  It's a phenomenal story about finding family (a mother, more so than anything else), love, and friendship in unexpected places. 

What do you think?  Coincidence that the very same copy of this book that I had begun reading years ago eventually found its way back to me (via my own mother)?  I like to think it's fate. Wonderful, fantastic, terrific, divine fate.  Something wanted me to finish reading that book.  Pretty amazing.

LYMTWCS, Madre :)

1 comment:

  1. Mel it is the conection between a daughter and a mother and fate.

    ReplyDelete