Saturday, November 6, 2010

The joys of being a broke college kid... wait... I'm not in college...aren't those days supposed to be behind me?

"What we really want to do is what we are really meant to do.  When we do what we are meant to do, money comes to us, doors open for us, we feel useful, and the work we do feels like play to us." --Julia Cameron

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off you."  --Maya Angelou


 I'm not broke, but I'm not rich.  Ah, but to be a grown-up and see those bills pile up... student loans, personal loans, medical bills, credit card bills, car payments, rent payments, renter's insurance, car insurance... the list goes on and on.  I recently took on a couple additional jobs to bring in some extra income (especially with the holidays coming up).  Let me make this perfectly clear: I'm neither complaining nor asking for sympathy.  Just giving an update.  Actually, I'm pretty excited-- one of the jobs is tutoring a high school student in Spanish (one of my favorite things in the world!)-- and credit for the coordination of this tutoring job goes to my friend Joe (dziekuje, Jozef!)  The other job is at the fine jewelry counter at a store in the mall (working at the mall during the holidays has ALWAYS appealed to me), so I'm excited about that too.  Hello, discount!

I was talking to my sister and brother-in-law yesterday and discussing my current job as well as other potential job opportunities.  Have I mentioned that I love my job?  Cue the broken record: I LOVE MY JOB.  I wish to never leave my current department.  However, at the moment there is no possibility of a permanent position in my department (I'm in a contract position, end date in April).  I'm keeping my fingers crossed; after all, it's possible that something may open up (never say never).  My biggest fear is that I'll find a permanent, better-paying job with more responsibilities, doing something that's decent enough, but that I would get into it and eventually despise going to work every morning.  I'll tell you the same thing I tell anyone who asks about my job (and this is the absolute truth): It's so incredibly refreshing to wake up every morning and not only be okay with going to work, but be excited to go to work.  I've had quite a few jobs in the past that have been truly detestable.  You can imagine my contentment to be blessed right now with a job that I love, working with people that I love, doing something that I love.  Therefore, I've come to the conclusion that as long as I can pay my bills (even if I have very little left to save), afford food & water every day, and afford to do things every so often with my friends and family, life is pretty sweet. 

Money isn't everything-- I enjoy what I do, and to me, that's totally worth it.  Maybe this will turn into a permanent position, maybe not.  Maybe I'll find a great permanent job soon, maybe not.  Eventually, though, I'll find my niche: a permanent job, pursuing the things I love doing, and doing them so well that people can't take their eyes off me (thanks for the inspiration, Ms. Angelou).  And if that job happens to pay so well that I could afford a semi-annual trip to Ireland... well, that would just be too good to be true.  But I would take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment