Thursday, November 11, 2010

Dance Thy Troubles Away


"Next time you're mad, try dancing out your anger."  --Terri Guillemets

"There is a bit of insanity  in dancing that does everybody a great deal of good." --Edwin Denby

"On with the dance!  Let joy be unconfined;
No sleep till morn, When Youth and Pleasure meet
To chase the glowing hours with flying feet." --George Gordon, Lord Byron, Childe Harold's Pilgrimage


Have you ever heard the generalization "white people can't dance?"   Catch me dancing, and you'll witness the impressive truth behind that (as much as I disapprove of generalizations... this white girl CAN'T dance).  It's true, I love to dance-- but I'm anything but talented on the dance floor.  The following are songs that, when played, no matter where I am or what I was doing, I'll break into a pretty embarrassing dancing frenzy.
  • "Walking on Broken Glass" by Annie Lennox
  • "Runaround Sue" by Dion
  • "Shoop" by Salt n Pepa
  • "Forever" by Chris Brown
  • "I Don't Feel Like Dancin' " by Scissor Sisters (ironic, right?)
  • "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay
  • "It Ain't Me Babe" by Joaquin Phoenix
  • "You Make My Dreams" -- Hall and Oates
  • "December 1963" -- The Four Seasons
  • "Twist and Shout" -- The Beatles
  • "Thriller" -- Michael Jackson
This compilation is a pretty good indicator of my musical palate :)  Completely random and essentially very few songs from the same genre.  But these songs make me dance, and to dance makes me smile, and to smile makes me irrevocably happy.  Dancing is a fantastic way to free your mind from anything unpleasant.  Take a look at this video, and see for yourself how
1 great song + 1 uncontrolled dancing frenzy = pure ecstasy.

Tip: Press play, then double-click on the video and it'll pop up in full-screen mode (it's best when viewed in full-screen).  Also, watch the video in its ENTIRETY... the best part begins around 2:09.  To exit from full-screen mode, click the button in the lower RH corner of the full-screen mode video, and you'll return to this blog.



When you're having a bad day, think of this little guy and take note of his response to some great music.  (The song is "The Dog Days are Over" by Florence & the Machine-- another great song!)  Wouldn't it be great if your day could completely turn around if you just danced your troubles away?  Go on-- give it a try.

"Dance till the stars come down from the rafters.  Dance, dance, dance till you drop."  --W.H. Auden

No comments:

Post a Comment