Thursday, September 1, 2011

My Haven


My family on vacation - 1990
(check out Liz's supercool perm!)

"The family is a haven in a heartless world." -- Christopher Lasch

I went to dinner with my cousin Jessi last night-- for the first time in over a year (and we live just miles from one another).  And yes, I'm ashamed about that last sentence.  We met at my favorite Mexican restaurant, where we were able to catch up over unlimited chips and salsa and the wonderful cheesy goodness of Mexican cuisine.  We had been sitting there and talking for over an hour.. and who walks in?  My sister and brother-in-law!   (yeah, this restaurant is THAT good)

My sister came over and sat with us for a bit.  She and Jessi talked about getting together to play on a local co-ed sports team, while I sat back (I'm terrified of playing sports that involve balls, so they both knew better than to invite me to play... I appreciate them looking out for my wellbeing).  I sat there and listened to them discuss the deathmatch that is volleyball, and I thought about how lucky I was.  Here I was, on a Wednesday night, away from home (no matter where I live, home will always be where I grew up).  But I had a belly full of beans and rice, and I was in the company of family.  Exactly what I needed.

Yes, I'm aware that so many of my posts reek of gratitude and resound with "how-sweet-life-is," but please bear with me for just one more.  I'm thankful for my family.

Life isn't always easy... though I'm sure you all know that.  I feel like I've run into more obstacles in 2011 than I thought were possible in one piddly year of life.  And while I've had friends there to support me along the way, my family has turned out to be the biggest comfort.  It makes me angry to think that there have been times this year when I've felt like I couldn't turn to my family for guidance, support, and love.  Someone once tried to tell me that there is no such thing as unconditional love, but that's false.  My family is proof of that. 

I have the most amazing mom and dad, sisters, and grandmas.  My brothers-in-law are exactly what I want for my sisters and for our family as a whole :)  My aunts, uncles, and cousins are wonderful.  And soon, when there are additions to my family (nieces/nephews), I imagine that those little monsters will only increase the love and happiness in my family. 

I get a phone call from someone in my family every day-- and I know that doesn't happen to everyone.  Yes, I get a phone call every day from at least one person who loves me and will love me no matter what.  And lately, I feel like I need that more and more.  Sometimes the world seems so cold and harsh... all these external forces don't seem to care about me or how I'm faring.  But no matter what, my family is my haven.  I can always find comfort in that.  I will always feel loved, and as long as I have my family, I will never be alone.  And for that, I'm very grateful.  My dear family, I love you so very much :)  More than words can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment