Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Hug a Bunch

Today I got a hug.  No, today I got two hugs.  Actually, I got three hugs.  I'm dogsitting for my sister's dog (Cooper) this week, and he "gives hugs," which is pretty adorable.  Even more so if you happen to adore the dog himself (and I do).  I also watched my friend's 4-year-old daughter today - and she gave me a hug.  And then instructed her mom (my dear friend Sarah) to hug me.  Sarah and I are not big huggers, but we did as her little girl said and we hugged each other.

Any hug is a good hug - really just a genuine way to show that you care about someone.  Sometimes all you need is a hug.  For those of you who don't know, I've recently begun working at a new job for a totally different company.  And if you've been keeping up with my blogs, you know that I LOVED my previous job.  My new job is okay - I really like the work, but the atmosphere is sort of "blah" and there are days where I realize at 5:00 pm (quitting time!) that I haven't actually spoken to one person all day.  That said, it's on those days especially when I get home and realize that I just need a hug.  Today was one of those days.  And thankfully, I had Sarah, her daughter, and Cooper to hug me. 

As I was winding down this evening, I was standing in the living room, entranced by a scene in Hope Floats.  Before I knew it, tears were streaming down my face as I watched Birdie sitting on the bathroom floor, sobbing to her mother about how awful life was since Bill left.  And one quote especially caught my attention: "Sometimes it doesn't matter who or what or when or where the hugging happens.  Sometimes you just need a hug."

And how true that is.  Sometimes you just need a hug.  Maybe you need a hug, or maybe someone you know needs a hug.  Like Birdie says, it doesn't matter who or what or when or where it happens.  The best hugs are the unexpected ones - the ones that happen for no reason in particular.  Hug a little or hug a bunch.  Just hug someone you love.

1 comment:

  1. how very true :) sometimes the very best hugs come unexpectedly from the people you care about most.

    ReplyDelete