Friday, July 8, 2011

Be My Bridge

I remember seeing this photo when I was little (possibly at my grandma's house, or perhaps at my elementary school-- if anyone can help me on that, let me know).  When I was young, I'd seen many pictures similar to this one, but for some reason, this one always caught my eye.  I still pause when I see it somewhere... funny how that happens. 

If this picture was indeed at my grandma's house, that would make sense.  She's always talking about guardian angels-- she's a firm believer in their existence.  She made a point to give each of her newly-licensed grandchildren a token to keep in his or car-- either a coin or a metal visor clip that says "Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly."  And perhaps some 16-year-olds would scoff at this and throw it in the glove box, or lose it (and I'd be likely to lose mine, especially considering the number of cars I've driven).  But I still have mine, and though it doesn't fit on my visor, I have my guardian angel clip in my console, and I make sure to take notice of it whenever I set sail in the Starship. 

Guardian angels are pretty amazing -- my favorite stories are those that involve a "close call, saved only by a guardian angel."  Seems like most of us have a story like that... where the odds were against us, and we shouldn't have made it out of whatever pickle we were in, but something stepped in-- maybe it pulled you off the tracks just in time, or the brakes mysteriously began to work as you were about to slide into the oncoming traffic of the expressway, even though your foot was no longer on the brake pedal, or your flashing red gas gauge somehow lasted another 30 miles until you  made it to the next exit.  Guardian angel stories, no matter how intense or dramatic, are good stories.  Maybe they don't involve driving or a life in danger (though many do)-- maybe your guardian angel is a friend, someone who's on your side when times get rough, maybe someone who spoke to you in just the right way, at just the right time.  Everyone needs someone on their side-- why not a guardian angel?

Do guardian angels really exist?  I guess we don't know for sure.  But I believe I've got one.  And I believe you've got one too, whether you agree or not. 

One of my favorite songs is "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon & Garfunkel.  Though the original is amazing, this cover by Johnny Cash (in the video below) is phenomenal.-- recorded in 2002, not even a year before he passed away  There's something about Cash's raspy, aging, pained voice that will haunt you and send shivers down your spine.  Paired with the wistful harmony of Fiona Apple, this song is sure to stick with you.  And by the way, I'll jump at any chance to share some tunes from the Man in Black.



Mr. Simon and Mr. Garfunkel penned some brilliant lyrics in a vast sea of songs, but this is by far one of their most popular songs, and for good reason.  Everyone wants a friend like the "bridge" they refer to, and everyone deserves to have a friend like that.  I'm blessed in that I have many "bridges."  To all my guardian angels out there-- to all of you who have been a bridge for me when I've encountered those troubled waters (even if you didn't know it), thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment