Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Don't Look Back

It’s funny how we remember certain things that people say. It could be days, weeks, years, or even decades later, but sometimes people say things you never forget. It can be good or bad (and unfortunately it’s hard to forget the bad things), but either way it’s likely that something someone once said will stick with you forever.

For example, when I was about 5 or 6, I was eating lunch with my sister and some cousins at my [very German] grandma’s house. Someone there didn’t like onions (I honestly don’t remember who), and my grandma told him that “you should eat your onions; it’ll put hair on your chest.” And even though I was quite fond of onions, I remember looking down at the onion-filled soup I was eating, suddenly afraid to eat them because of the chest hair that would inevitably follow. 20 years later, I still think about it when I’ve got onions on my plate.

Another example: I was at a track meet in grade school and someone mentioned to me that a runner will lose 3 seconds every time he or she looks back while running. I don’t know if there are facts to back that up, but I still think about it every time I’m out for a run. Even if I’m running in a dream, that statistic will cross my mind and I will remember not to look back. It's burned into my mind.Don’t look back.
It’s so easy to look back, though, isn’t it? Sometimes during the workday, I find myself in an odd state. It's like I'm physically “frozen.” I’ve stopped working, I’ve essentially stopped moving, and though I’m staring at my computer screen, I’m thinking back over things I’ve done, people I’ve known, good days, bad days, and so on. Lately I have a nasty habit of thinking back over the past year and wondering what I could’ve done differently. Where could I have improved? Where did I do the right thing? Where did I really screw up? How could I have reacted differently to Scenario A? What would have been a better response to Jane Doe’s rude question?

It’s so tempting to look back when you should really be focusing your time and energy on what lies ahead. It’s likely that you’re working toward something, no matter how insignificant it may seem. You probably have a goal in mind, and you’re making progress toward it whether you realize it or not. Maybe you’re trying to pay off credit card debt. Maybe you’re trying to lose 20 pounds. Maybe (bless your heart) you’re trying to GAIN 20 pounds. Maybe you’re trying to finish a book, or maybe you’re just trying to finish the day. Maybe you’re trying to believe in something. Maybe you’re just trying to be happy.

Wherever your destination lies, make an earnest effort to maintain progress along the way. It does absolutely no good to dwell on the past; looking back does indeed slow you down. In my very humble opinion, nothing is just “coincidence.” As cliché as it sounds, everything happens for a reason. Don’t let your “20/20” hindsight fool you. Hindsight is very sly. It will make you believe that your life today would be easier if you hadn’t taken Job X, or if you had never met Mr. Y. Every moment of every day has its purpose. It’s all part of a grand plan. Find joy in something pleasant each day and remove the word “doubt” from your vocabulary. Keep your eyes on the prize. Run like hell and never look back. And for goodness’ sake, eat your flippin' onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment